Living up to Your Potential When Free from Addiction
When a person looks at his potential, he often associates it with achieving a specific goal. For example, one may look at his highest educational potential and start working towards a degree. Others look at their weight and exercise regiment and set a goal to lose a certain number of pounds. Still others look at their financial status and think about how their potential could get them jobs that provide higher income.
Addiction has been known to affect every aspect of a person’s life; relationships, physical health, emotional well being and employment. But, what many Portland addicts may ignore is that addiction not only damages a user’s current life, but also her potential for a better one.
How Drugs Affect Your Life in Portland
Let’s look at what drugs have done to your life already, especially in the following categories:
- Physical health – you’re physical appearance, even your basic hygiene, have been damaged. You are not maintaining a proper diet, you are not sleeping well and you have ignored your hygiene because your focus has been on drugs.
- Mental health – when Portland residents are so focused on acquiring and using drugs, they are not stimulating their minds or learning new things. They become stagnant mentally and do not engage their brains.
- Emotional health – when your physical and mental health are worsened, your emotional well-being is also affected. You are uncertain about your emotional needs and therefore are often left unfulfilled.
- Relationships – when drugs are more important than people (which often happens when Portland residents are addicts), people sacrifice relationships that hinder their desire to use drugs. They distance themselves from others who may be critical of drug use. For those people who retain a relationship with you, you find that you end up lying or even stealing from them.
- Employment –a Portland addict’s desire to obtain drugs may increase her absenteeism or decrease her work performance. Placing yourself at risk to lose your income (which enables you to get drugs) puts you in a very precarious position.
Benefits of a Drug-Free Life in Portland
If Portland residents only focus on the physical benefits of a drug-free life, they will justify your investment in rehab. Consider the following questions:
- Do you remember the last time you woke up for a restful night’s sleep, with clear eyes and the energy to start your day?
- Do you remember what it is like to have a healthy appetite and a normal digestion system to process good foods?
- Do you recall the last time you were able to support a healthy workout routine without running out of breathing or feeling muscle fatigue?
- When was the last time you looked in the mirror and saw a healthy person?
These are just some of the physical benefits you get when you are free from addiction.
Portland Addiction Help
Addiction affects every part of your life, from your physical and emotional health to your social, relational and financial well being. If you live in Portland and are struggling with drug abuse or addiction, let us help you take the steps necessary to become drug free. We know that learning about all of the available treatment options can be overwhelming; we want to help by giving you information to determine the most appropriate rehab service for you. Call our toll-free helpline anytime; we are available 24 hours a day to answer any questions you might have about drug rehab. We are here to help.