Can I Detox at Home?
If you are struggling with drug or alcohol addiction and are trying to quit using, you may be tempted to try to detox on your own in Portland. Withdrawal symptoms can be so unpleasant that they overpower a person’s will or desire to stop using. The person attempting unsupervised detox has access to more drugs and is only accountable to him or herself during the early stages of recovery. Severe withdrawal symptoms can make recovering Portland residents feel so bad that they will do whatever they can to make them stop. Detoxing at home can be dangerous and is possibly deadly.
Drug and Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms in Portland Residents
Drugs and alcohol can induce severe withdrawal symptoms in Portland residents who attempt to stop using at home and who do so abruptly. Withdrawal symptoms may include the following:
- Severe dehydration
Benefits of Professional Addiction Treatment for Portland Residents
A good drug treatment program will include medically supervised detox services. Professionals trained in the treatment of drug addiction will do the following:
- Possess the knowledge, training and experience to conduct the detox process safely
- Monitor the detox process and be on hand to address any medical problems that arise
- Know the appropriate tapering schedule for the drug being used to lessen the severity of withdrawal symptoms
- Counteract the worst withdrawal symptoms
Portland residents in an addiction treatment center will do the following:
- Be in an environment that is designed to help achieve recovery
- Be surrounded by professionals who are working full time to help with recovery
- Have access to medical personnel and facilities during and after the detox process
- Have no access to their drug of choice
Detoxification is only the first step in the recovery process. Even if you can successfully detox at home in Portland, you will not have the benefits of a comprehensive treatment program that will teach you proven methods of maintaining long-term sobriety. Professional drug counseling will help you do the following:
- Understand the root causes of addiction
- Learn to recognize situations and feelings that can trigger relapse
- Learn healthy and productive ways of dealing with relapse triggers without turning back to drug use
Medically Supervised Detox Services for Portland Residents
If you suffer from drug addiction and would like to get clean, we can help. Our staff of trained professionals can answer any questions you have and help find the best detox and treatment options available. Our number is toll free, and we are available 24 hours a day. Please call now.